Pimping the Display Board



By: Kitbasha Jay

This week we’re building a display board. I’m doing this in preparation for The Sword and Board Open next month. I also figured it would be a good excuse to demonstrate a very quick and easy display board. Plus it gave me a chance to use up a lot of random materials I had cluttering up my workshop left over from past projects.

On monday we built and basecoated our display board. Today we’re going to pimp it out. This really doesn’t require any really expensive materials. Most of what I will be using today most hobbyists already have in their arsenal. Except for the resin I will be using for the river. It was the cheapest I could find but still came with a hefty pricetag.

So let’s get into it!

After basecoating with the Espresso I then appied some dry brush layers. I started by dry brushing the exposed areas of the bunker with grey. After this I dry brushed the rest of the board with the same Liquitex Yellow Oxide we used in the Jungle Fever Terrain Series.

The final drybrush was over the entire piece, cement and soil together with Liquitex Unbleached Titanium. As I’ve explained in past tutorials, this unifies the entire piece and creates a nice final highlight. We’ll be painting the details on the bunker as the last step after we’ve done everything else.

I then took some PVA glue and painted the majority of the board in order to sprinkle static grass. In my opinion, when people only put patches of grass in small areas it looks a little funny. Make sure to cover most of the piece with the PVA. If there’s going to be grass, it’s most likely going to grow in abundance. If anything is going to be in patches it’s the areas where the grass doesn’t grow.

Static Grass

For this I use a 3 colour method. The same as when painting miniatures, minimum 3 colours. The same applies to the grass. I started by sprinkling small areas of the PVA with the brown grass. Do the shades that you want the least of first. This way they will be sure to adhear to the PVA over the grass that you want to fill in the gaps.

3 Colours

I then followed with light helpings of the light green grass. Finally, the vibrant green grass was used to cover whatever areas of the PVA still remained seen to the eye. I then left it overnight to dry. The next day I shook off the loose grass onto the parcel paper I had beneath the board and collected the discarded grass to use again in the future.

After that it’s time to add the water effects. For this I decided to use the remainder of a two part epoxy resin that I had purchased for use on the Jungle Swamp Video that we released to our Patrons. It’s actually a resin substitute that I purchased a large quantity of at Home Depot. It’s intended to be used to finish counter tops. But it was economical and serves the same purpose as epoxy resin.

2 part clear resin

I began by damming off the parts where the river meets the edge of the board. This was done with masking tape and some PVA painted on the outside to create a nice seal. I then mixed equal parts of the two components and stirred the mixture vigorously.

Once it was mixed I quickly vacuumed the little bit of static grass that had blown onto the area I wanted the water to be. I then began to pour the mixture into the crevice. Pour it slow and make sure to pour over the entire area you wish to cover. It will self level as it dries so don’t worry if you can’t pour into all the nooks and crannies. It will do that for you. Just make sure you get an even pour all the way across the river so that it covers fully.

River

While the water is drying I then added 2 colours of flock. Just sprinkled it along the banks, on the surface of the resin. Then by tipping the board one way, and then the other, holding it in each direction for a few seconds, it created the illusion that whatever is floating in the stream has some movement.

The final step is to paint the details of the bunker. We’re going to have to wait a while for the resin to dry fully so now is the time when we can put some focus on the bunker. As you have seen in the previous pics, I used a bit from the Space Marine Rhino kit.

All I’m going to do is paint the borders of the viewports with Leadbelcher. Once that dries I hit the metal parts with some Agrax Earthshade. The some Biel-tan Green Wash was used to create the appearance of water damage around the slits and along the top of the bunker wall. And that’s it.

Bunker Details

So I hope you’ve enjoyed our little display board project this week. If you want to see the process in action the video will be out on our YouTube Channel this coming Tuesday (Halloween). Until then show us your display boards on our Facebook or Instagram feeds. We’d love to see what you have done or hear ideas about what you plan to do.

Until our next Encounter!

Leave a Reply